04 November 2017

D is for Diary and More #NaNoWriMo2017


Before National Novel Writing Month began, I started a short diary for my heroine outlining the five years since her husband's death up to the beginning of the novel. I wanted to really get to know her, and the internal experiences that would color the dynamics between her and the new love interest in The Lonely Rancher.


The conflict between them is more than just liberal vs. conservative. It's largely driven by the heroine's visceral need to never depend on anyone, especially a man, ever again. Not since her husband died, leaving her with a financial mess to clean up and absolutely no security. She climbed out of that hole, and dealt with a few other issues related to her marriage over the next five years, and no way was she ever again leaving her well-being to chance or the whims of another human.

The hero's need, being a conservative rancher, is (of course) to be needed. It's part of his mindset. He has a lot to learn dealing with an independent woman. I'm not making it easy for him. The guy is getting his ego stomped on a time or two before I type The End.



How they resolve these issues is what drives a lot of the story... and drives them a little crazy.

Another good writing day for me with 3,021 words. My goal is to break 20,000 words on Tuesday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...