13 April 2013

L is for Little


I confess that big houses give me the willies. I don't like visiting huge homes, and I especially don't like sleeping in them. I think this is because I was born in Germany and grew up there, and most of my family had normal German homes - that is to say, quite small. My Oma lived in two rooms for her entire retirement and shared a bathroom with two neighbors who were also elders. Nobody complained. Even in modern-day Germany, homes tend to be the size of what many Americans would call "efficiencies" or "starters". This scenario is the standard in most of Europe. Needless to say, the environmental footprint of those countries is much smaller than in the United States. Americans have few bragging rights when it comes to downsizing for the sake of the planet.

Just for fun, I thought I'd share some very creative and beautiful little homes that you might not think you can live in full-time, but could consider as small offices or studios. I'm more of a monk and would certainly live in one of these full-time, and maybe someday, you will consider it too:

A converted caboose
A yurt imported from Mongolia
This is my favorite and I was able to find more information online.
Google as authentic yurts are now on sale in the U.S. and Australia.
Under 500 s.f.
A posh interior
Victorian charm
Converted metal storage container
Only 312 s.f.
Very tiny

When the garden takes top honors

Are these clever, or what? There is truly a tiny style for everyone. You can find more listings at Tiny House Listings and on their Facebook page. All their homes are under 500 s.f. Most of the ones pictured here are 200-300 s.f.

And if you're now as yurt-obsessed as I am, click here. And here. And here. And here for the one above. We actually considered buying a yurt about ten years ago, but the selections weren't nearly as handsome as the real Mongolian yurts on these pages!

Have you ever considered downsizing your lifestyle by choosing a smaller home? How small do you think you could go? Please leave me a comment!

11 comments:

Spanj said...

I have dreams of small living; owning just what I absolutely need. But my home is so cluttered I'd need to get rid of 90% of my belongings!

One day...
coffintreehill.tumblr.com

MZ said...

Loving your A to Z posts. Wishing I had the energy to be so creative. Keep up the good work!

sherilee said...

One of my very favorite homes was a 900-sq-ft "country cottage" I lived in with my son post-divorce. It was exactly what I could handle at the time--financially and otherwise--and I sometimes wish I still lived there (especially when cleaning--it cleaned in a jiff!).

Love those little house pics you posted!

Unknown said...

We actually live in a fairly small home by today's standards. It felt even smaller a few years ago when our oldest two kids were still at home. Now, with only three here, it's starting to feel a little more spacious.

The way I would like to live small is by paring down our possessions, almost to minimalist standards. I love looking at those little tiny houses, but think I'd like a bigger home with less stuff in it.

#AtoZChallenge

SiouxsiesMusings

Sanderella said...

I am waiting to win a lotto, my place will be small and charming...cottage, and it won't be in the U.S.! I would love to live in Canada! I have been there several times, and love it. My grandparents parents were from Germany, and I am half German Weikert is my mothers maiden name! Enjoyed your post! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

Rowena said...

If I lived on my own, I would be very happy in any of the tiny houses you have posted. My faves are the caboose and tiny house with big garden. They are all very sweet though, great post! Very original

Unknown said...

I watch House Hunters International sometimes and love seeing the houses and apartments, but I hate the people (actors?) who go around saying how small everything is. "Our furniture will never fit in here." "I have to have a big, American refrigerator." Then go back to the U.S. and quit whining. Who but an idiot would go looking for a big American house in old town Morocco?

Betty Alark said...

I'm sure my heart could be content living in anyone of those houses! As long as a person is at peace within I'm sure downsizing wouldn't be a problem!!

Really enjoyed your post!!! Very interesting and different!

Francene Stanley said...

I love the examples you've shared. They look enticing. My husband and I share a small retirement flat. My office is labelleda second bedroom, but would only just fit a bed without anything else. I designed our home like the interior of a caravan (mobile home) with fitted cupboards. The small space doesn't make me walk too far.

Sylvia Ney said...

It's amazing what people can do with such a small area! Sometimes less is more ;-) New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Clever and claustrophobic! Too tiny. I'm the opposite of you. I want a big 'ole house. I want lots of room! LOL!

A to Z buddy
Peanut Butter and Whine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...