05 October 2015

Monday Writing Motivation


A few years ago, when I started writing longer stories and began developing the Morristown mystery series, I noticed my tendency to naturally break chapters into tight vignettes that seemed more like scripting theater scenes than book chapters. I also found myself looking for photos of people who might play the roles of my characters, and as I built character files, I added images to give me strong visual descriptions for my writing. That really felt like casting actors for a play or movie.

When my male protagonist took over my writing voice, I had quite a few challenges identifying with his character, and visuals became even more important to my writing. I spent hours looking for my main character, J. Lindsey Calhoun. He needed a multi-faceted face, with lots of changing emotions. One not too pretty, because my book hero starts out being fairly cold, even unattractive as a person, and someone intimidating enough to inspire a small army of protectors around the heroine and his future love interest.

Quite by accident, I discovered Hollywood actor, Jeff Bosley, on a mutual friend's Facebook page. He could easily look the part of a lawyer, but also scruffed up pretty well. He could be goofy, intimidating, sexy, and most importantly, had a smile that would light up a room. And he's young enough to play the role, if these stories ever travel the novel-to-film path, which will take a few more years. In the meantime, he practices his craft as a full-time actor with an astounding focus and dedication. His vision and drive inspire me to write every day. Please check him out at IMDb, on Facebook, and Twitter


Building teams that mutually support each other. It's what life is all about, right?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...